Sunday, December 26, 2010

Day 5 of 12

Feeling the need to return to normalcy with regard to our beverages, I chose a bourbon drink for today. Mike and I have been fans of the Old Fashion for quite some time, so I was pretty excited when I found the recipe for a Raspberry Bourbon Smash.

Raspberry Bourbon Smash

1 2/3 oz. bourbon
Handful fresh raspberries
2 1/3 oz. cranberry juice
2/3 oz. fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp. sugar
Dash Angostura bitters

Place the lime juice and raspberries in the bottom of a highball glass. Add the sugar and bitters. Muddle until the sugar is dissolved. Add the bourbon and stir. Add the crushed ice. Top off with the cranberry juice. Serves 1.

Unfortunately my picture didn't take hold, so you won't get to see the dark pink color of this drink unless you make one of your own. My camera battery was on its last leg when I took the picture.

As with an Old Fashion, the drink definitely gets better as you drink it. It seemed a little sour at first with a kick of bourbon, but became sweeter and mellowed as we went. We recommend frequent "swirling" in an effort to mix in the sweetness that seems to linger in the bottom of the drink. We give the Raspberry Bourbon Smash a 7. Would I drink it again? Probably, but I rarely have raspberries in the house, and making an Old Fashion is a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment