Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ladies' Night Inspiration

Last night was Ladies' Night at the Hollywood Theatre, and the featured movie was Julie and Julia. It was a great movie about a woman, Julie, who wanted to be a writer. She also apparently had difficulty finishing projects, so when she started her next project, she gave herself a deadline. Julie decided that she was going to cook her way through "Learning the Art of French Cooking" in one year, blogging about the experience the whole time. The movie was also about the trials and tribulations that Julia had while becoming the successful person that she was to become. There were all kinds of messages going on throughout the entire movie, not the least of which was how supportive and patient husbands can be. Women must truly be an enigma to men...I mean, we are so incredibly different. That isn't the point though.

One of the things that I thought was interesting was the whole blog thing. Julie started out her blog wondering if anyone was actually reading it. She got excited when she got her first comment, until she found out that it was her mother. It didn't take long for her to start receiving comments on a regular basis, which served as some inspiration to keep doing what she was doing.

After the movie was over, as women filed through the lobby, I saw Alison, creator of the Along the Au Sable blog. I mentioned that I thought the movie was inspirational. I was greatly saddened to hear her say that she wasn't sure if she wanted to do it anymore. I immediately told her that she has to keep doing the blog...we all enjoy reading it! I have to admit that there have been times when I felt like I really didn't have much to write about, especially when I haven't had a chance to hang out with the "ladies" in a while. Does the title of my blog limit me to writing only about my escapades with the ladies? Pshaw, I say! What's wrong with writing about the last oil change I got...or the fact that I'm tired of working...or why my son has to ruin a perfectly good morning arguing about the fact that he doesn't want to do the flouride "swish" at school? Absolutely nothing.

Alison, I hope you keep blogging. I, and I'm sure many others, look forward to reading your writing. Don't forget the six degrees of separation...many things can be linked back to the Au Sable, no matter what your activities or travels!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the kind words. I will continue to write. :) It gives me something to think about driving to and from work, LP to Jay. Makes me stop and appreciate the things around us in the great area we live. Last night was wonderful! A big thank you to you and all the Ladies of the Adirondacks!

    ReplyDelete