Monday, April 6, 2009

Spring Break Travels

It was definitely my intention to report my travel experiences much sooner than this, but as you continue to read, you'll understand why I have not...

It all started last Thursday. We packed up all our clothes and gear and headed for NSA to pick up our co-travelers. Mike hopped into the driver's seat of the short bus, and Ri, myself and three others joined him for the ride to Albany. It wasn't too bad...only six of us, no problem.

That feeling didn't last too long, as I spent the entire day sitting next to a nine year old boy who hadn't slept the night before because he was so excited. You know how tight those plane seats are. Mike of course was sitting in a different section of the plane enjoying cocktails with Cam. I, on the other hand, got stuck next to some old farmer with no concept of personal space.

Once that leg of the flight was over, we had reached Denver. Finally we had arrived. We spent some time collecting our luggage and going to two different car rental agencies (it would make too much sense to rent both cars from the same company). It was only about an hour and a half drive from Denver to Frisco. I was driving one car with two passengers, and Mike had Ri, who quickly fell asleep in the back seat. Apparently there is quite a difference in elevation between Denver and Frisco, because when we reached our destination and Ri woke up, he immediately started showing signs of altitude sickness. Symptoms? He threw up in the car, and continued to do so on and off for the next 12 hours. After he was finished with that, he slept for longer than I have ever seen him. Needless to say, I was a little worried about him. He has since recovered, and the old Ri is back. I will continue to vent for just a bit longer. I certainly wouldn't want to leave the impression that I'm not enjoying myself.

Here's the last little bit of complaining...

My wonderful family and I are staying in a ten person condominium with 9 other people (sometimes 10). For those of you who have difficulty with math, that's 3 + 9 (sometimes 10) which equals 12-13. Six of those individuals are teenagers and the others are in their twenties. Need I say more? I think I can hang with just about anyone, but I do have my limits. O.K., I'm done now.

I must immediately follow the negative with some serious positive. So I know that I last posted about the whole "absence makes the heart grow fonder" thing, but I did indeed get to see one of the ladies recently. Remember how I told you that Lauren was going to be in Colorado at the same time but that we wouldn't get to see each other? Well she is amazing and managed to figure out the shuttle schedule to get her butt to Copper so that we could spend some time together. It wasn't a bluebird day, but it was awesome nonetheless.





Lauren, always the faithful friend, even carried the beer for us (in the backpack cooler that I borrowed from her for the trip) while we participated in the opening ceremonies.



I think she might have even enjoyed the popularity that is brought about by carrying all the alcohol.




All in all, it was great to take some runs together (we hadn't even gone on a single run together at Whiteface all season).

Since Lauren's departure, I have been busy working for Nationals, but with time to take a few runs in the afternoon and enjoy a little apres ski action.









We only have a few days left here in Colorado, but I'm going to continue to enjoy it as much as possible. In fact, tomorrow when I finish work, I'm going to strap on my board and just go. I'm not going to take anyone with me either!

No comments:

Post a Comment