Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Let it Roll!

We're just starting to pick up speed here.  I have to say that it's funny how some years I have been extremely organized, whereas other years I seem to fly by the seat of my pants.  This happens to be a "fly by the seat of my pants" year.  Hmmmm...what to drink today...what to drink (yesterday)....

Day 2:  Painkiller

2 oz. white rum
1 oz. cream of coconut
4 oz. pineapple juice
1 oz. orange juice

Yes, this seems like a simple four-ingredient drink.  For some reason however, I forgot how to do math, and when I knew Tommy was going to join us, I neglected to multiply the whole pineapple juice thing by three.  Luckily for me, it still tasted good.  Intense, but good.  It wasn't until Tommy rated it a conservative 7 and requested a refill that I realized the error.  Oops!  The hazards of Drifunkmas I suppose.  Mike and I rated the Painkiller an 8.  I honestly have to say that it might just play a close second to the Bloody Mary with regard to its I-want-to-just-forget-about-what-I-might-have-consumed-last-night qualities.  It's just different.  One is spicy, but this one is sweet.  Kind of like choosing pancakes for breakfast over Eggs Benedict.


This time of year brings a busy schedule, and we had the opportunity to enjoy the sweet sounds of the Au Sable Valley Jazz Band shortly after the sweet taste the Painkiller.



That brings us to tonight.  We're not holding ourselves to any unestablished rules, so when Ri and I had to make a trip to the Snowy Grocery in Upper Jay on Sunday to pick up our delicious meats from Mace Chasm Farm, I jumped at the chance to finally try some beer from Au Sable Brewery (at 11:30 in the morning).  The result was tonight's beverage:
Day 3:
North Country Common

 It's funny how things seem to come together.  Mike and I had a weekly ritual of taking the bike to Keene Valley Farmers' Market to do our weekly fun shopping all summer long.  This generally included a quick glance at the lovely and enticing jewelry followed by the purchase of the stuff we were really there for.  We had our standards... Mace Chasm won in the meat department, River Mede won in the lettuce and cucumber area, and I am ashamed to say that I cannot remember who had the best tomatoes, but their booth was on the right.  It was River Mede on the left, then the tomato gurus on the right, followed by the incredible Fry Pies on the right and Mace Chasm on the left.  Sorry.  It's the best I can do.  We always got excited when the big "Kettle Korn" sign was out.  We get excited about strange things, I know.  Anywho.....we had been hearing about Taco Night at Au Sable Brewing Company.  It was an Au Sable Brewing Company/Mace Chasm Taco/Beverage extravaganza that seemed to get big rather quickly.  We had every intention of making it out to one of these Thursday night rituals, but fall got in the way.  School, Mountain Lake Academy, NYSEF, yadah, yadah, yadah.  No excuse, really, but it's all I have.

To make up for all that, we made their beer a part of our Drifunkmas celebration.  The North Country Common is a very easy drink.  It's a mild beer that goes down smoothly with a light malt thing going on.  I would, and will, buy it again.  A growler is $15, which includes a $3 bottle deposit.  Mike and I highly recommend it!

I think tomorrow is going to be The Blizzard, which is a bourbon drink with a little cranberry juice and some simple syrup, but who knows? 

No comments:

Post a Comment