Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

Because this blog is about friendship, I felt it would be extremely appropriate to chat a bit about everyone's very best friend...mom. I was lucky enough to spend part of my day today with, of course, my mom. I know I share this sentiment with many others who feel the same about their moms, but my mom is just plain exceptional. She really should be sporting a cape of some sort for sure. The things she taught me! I mean really, it is truly amazing what she can do, and all with a satisfied grin on her face.



I've joked around before that we really don't understand how much parents teach us until experiencing parenthood for ourselves. Think about it. We are not born with the innate ability to wipe our butts. We have to be taught. Who taught me to do it? I'm guessing it was Mom. How about brushing my teeth? I'm guessing it was Mom again. And how to cook? That was definitely Mom. Now I don't mean to short the dads out there, but they usually teach us completely different things. Moms have an incredible knack for teaching us how to carry on the daily necessities. Not glamorous for sure, but necessary nonetheless.

My mom went above and beyond the basics, and had me sewing my own doll clothes (on a machine no less) at a very young age. We would spend days in the late summer and early fall canning veggies from the garden that would last us until we planted the next year. Thursdays were bed sheet changing days. We pulled the furniture out every week to vacuum behind it. Now who does that anymore?

There are three kids in my family, and Mom always made it seem so easy. I have one son and I feel like I'm one of the hardest working mothers around. How in the hell did she do it?

My mom is now a retired elementary school teacher who weathers her winters with Dad in the Keys. She spends her time quilting, basket weaving, walking, cooking and spending time with her family. She's a beautiful woman who deserves all the love and appreciation in the world. Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment