Sunday, November 28, 2010

Shifting Gears

Once again the coming of another season brings on nostalgia. I do not dislike winter, but it certainly is a lifestyle that requires a hell of a lot more work. Just dressing for cold weather is a chore at times. This year was like every other for me... It's fall, it's fall, it's fall, and then BLAM! Winter? Already?

Due to Mike's absence for half of December, we have had to adapt this year by getting our Christmas tree pretty early. Last year it was a bummer to decorate without Mike, so this year we planned ahead. I had the idea that today was the big day when I got up on Saturday. Just before we left it started to lightly snow. How perfect. It ended up being a little frightening for me. Anyone who knows me knows that I get really freaked out by "iffy" roads in the winter if I'm not the one driving.
Luckily I was wearing my big girl panties and we got there just fine. I am not exaggerating when I say that we picked out our tree in less than five minutes. Mike hadn't even joined us from the truck yet. We are THAT good.

Later in the day the changing of the seasons became evident once again. It was the coldest day of the year so far for me at the farm. It feels really strange around there when there is snow on the ground. It's obvious that my job there is nearing an end for the year. Although I enjoy having the extra time for myself and my family when the season is over, I miss it. It's peaceful. Within a few weeks the parlor has gone from the open-air feeling of this...

to this...

It's still a place that takes my breath away when I get there,


but getting ready to leave just isn't the same.


I'm getting myself ready. I'm hunkering down. I so look forward to spring already though. I'm not gonna lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment